• Bienvenue sur le nouveau forum VeryGames
  • Welcome to the new VeryGames forum
  • VeryNews

CS:GO : All you need to know.

Invité Invité

Messages recommandés

1 - Introduction

Hi everyone,

The purpose of this thread is to gather everything you need to know on CS:GO configuration, on the server side, as well as on the client side. This is the primarily reason for posting it on the forum. All the topics won't be directed at the server side, so the VeryWiki isn't the best place.

I (and maybe some moderators/administrators) will keep this thread as up to date as possible, so that the informations you will find here will always be useful.

/!\ Please note that this thread might not help you solve every single issue. /!\

/!\ You can also find useful informations on the VeryWiki : http://verywiki.net/en/Counter_Strike_Global_Offensive /!\

/!\ I may not think about everything. If you believe topics should be added, just let me know by PM, and I'll see what I can do. /!\

/!\ If you do not find the information you're looking for, please do not answer here to ask for help. Every problem is unique and must be dealt with accordingly. /!\

Let's start by a summary of what's coming :

1 - Introduction.

2 - Gamemodes and MapGroup.

3 - Configuration server side.

4 - Configuration client side.

5 - Demystification.

6 - Known bugs and common issues.

I'm wishing you all a good reading.

-------------

CHANGELOG :

11/09/2012 : English translation finally online. Sorry for keeping you waiting.

05/09/2012 : 1st edition. Welcome ;)

Modifié par kRYOoX

2 - Gamemodes et MapGroups

Let's start with the most problematic part, for a vast majority. Valve's work on the implementation of several mods is good, but a little complex in terms of configuration.

I will then try to clarify things as much as possible.

But let's start by the most basic question : What's the point in such a complicated system ?

Valve has introduced somthing new for a Counter-Strike game : the GameModes.

You no longer need to use power consuming and hard to set plugins to set a GunGame server, or even a zombie one in a near future. This would supposedly simplify the server set up since everything is done right from the game, and limit the third party tools risks, as they are the origin of a lot of crashes, lags, and other unpleasant issues.

To be able to manage all those gamemodes, and becaus you can switch between these gamemodes very easily, Valve had to find a way for us, server owners, to configure every gamemodes, independantly.

This leads us to the gamemodes.txt and gamemodes_server.txt files, and the MapGroups.

Every GameMode has its own set of rules and maps, so that you can switch between modes without having to redo your server.cfg, or themaplist.txt and mapcycle.txt.

Indeed, there system is not perfect. But once you dive into it, it has the merit of being clean. And by the way, the devs have shown that they heard the numerous complaints about this system, as the 08/31/2012 update, which brought a first big change in this whole system, is testifying

Let's get to more concrete explanations. At this point, what is really important for you to understand is the files hierarchy, and each file purposes.

There are 5 GameModes at the moment, each one has its own set of rules, and its maps, as mentionned earlier. The server.cfg file handles more generic settings (hostname, passwords, tickrates...)

Therefore, we'll work with these files :

• gamemodes.txt :

This is the base file, given by Valve. I won't give you any version of since you do not need to modify it, EVER.

The reason is quite simple : with each update, this file is reset to its basic form. You lose all you've set in it.

Moreover, this servs as a base for the server. If you mess with this file, and the server doesn't work anymore, you won't know how to go back to a previous state.

This one is useful to us. Its goal is to overwrite the settings that Valve forces in the first file.

The link points to a basic one, ready for work.

This file is a clear example of the game hierarchy : There are three GameTypes (Classic, Gungame and Training), each one has on or several GameModes (for instance, Classic contains casual and competitive). Each GameModes has its own config and MapGroups.

In the last part of the file, you'll find the MapGroups : their name, the map they contain. Of course, you'll find the classic MapGroups and the MapGroup I've created for my own server. This MapGroup is called "mg_perso" and contains the "_se" maps, along with de_nuke_se and de_mirage_csgo. You are, of course, free to add other MapGroups.

/!\ Make sure that you maintain a strict syntax, identical to the one in the file. If you break the opening/closing of braces, your server will not work ! The indentation is not important but allows a simplified reading.

You'll say that some settings are still missing. You're right but for those, we'll use other files.

If you open the gamemodes.txt file, you'll notice that each GameModes launches two files : gamemode_mode.cfg et gamemode_mode_server.cfg.

/!\ "mode" is to be replaced by the name of the concerned GameMode : casual, competitive, armsrace, or demolition.

These files are in the cfg folder, in your FTP. You won't see the "_server" version, as they don't exist yet. It's up to you to create the file, by duplicating the normal one, and adding "_server" at the end of its name.

The normal version, as for gamemodes.txt, must not be edited. All modifications must go in the "_server" version.

The link points to my gamemode_casual_server.cfg.

One of the most common (and justified) question is as follow : What should I set in this file, and what should I set in the server.cfg ?

The answer is quite simple : Everything that is related to the gamemodes, or the gameplay goes in those files. The server.cfg must only be used for settings that will never change from a GameMode to another.

Finally, there's this old file we all know. The link points to my server's version of it.

As you can see, all the commands are things I wouldn't want to change, no matter what mode I'm on. I won't change my rcon or my server's name...

N.B : That doesn't mean you have to set these commands here. You can totally change your hostname with each GameMode, by placing one in each GameMode's file.

/!\ Last word of advice, be extremely careful on :

• Files syntax.
    • Indentation.
    • Double commands in different files.

Once you get it, you'll see it's not that hard ;)

Modifié par kRYOoX

3 - Configuration server side

3.1 - Basic configuration

As we saw it in the previous post, the important point is to follow the files hierarchy, and its content.

So here's the order of file launching :

- server.cfg

- gamemodes.txt

- gamemode_casual.cfg

- gamemode_competitive.cfg

- gamemode_armsrace.cfg

- gamemode_demolition.cfg

- gamemode_training.cfg

- gamemodes_server.txt

-

-

-

-

-

Valve's files, then the general file, and finally your files. Every commands that you place in two of those files will be executed twice, and the latest one will take precedence.

/!\Careful : I'm taking a shortcut by saying it this way, but that's the best way to make you understand the logic. For those that are comfortable with servers, the
    gamemode_xxx_server.cfg files are called in gamemodes.txt.

We don't care about the files that have no link attached. These are Valve's standard setup.

For the other files, I show you mine as an example. Know that the gamemode_xxx_server.cfg only contains :

- The commands that are in the Valve version of it, gamemode_xxx.cfg that is.

- The gameplay related commands.

As for server.cfg, we'll use it for general commands, and gamemodes_server.txt will be used to define MapGroups.

The values I give you are either standard or values I changed for my personal needs and preferences. You are of course free to set them however you want.

3.2 - MapGroup management

Valve's maps are not the one you're interested in ? Or maybe you'd like to tweak your maplist, pick the maps you want to play ?

You're in the right place.

What you need to start is my gamemodes_server.txt.

If you take a look at the second part of the file, you'll see that the third MapGroup is not a basic one. "mg_perso" as I called it, is the MapGroup I've created to be able to play on the maps I want. You can also see that I've registered it in the "casual" section.

You can create your own MapGroup the same way, or modify the mine.

That way, you'll have a MapGroup that you designed, named as you want, and containing your maps.

What you need to know :

- Here again, be very cautious regarding the syntax. Don't forget any character, or you could break your MapGroup, or even your server.

- A MapGroup is somewhat an equivalent to the MapList, but also the MapCycle. The order you choose for your maps is important.

- For your MapGroup to be usable, it needs to be defined in the second part of the file, and included in the mods you want to play it, in the first part.

- For your MapGroup to be used, you have to think about setting it in your admin panel, in the "My server" section. Select your mode, your MapGroup and a starting map that exists in the MapGroup. Otherwise your server won't be reachable.

You can also edit Valve's MapGroups, if you just want to add a map to it. If you want to get back to the official MapGroup later, you can delete the map, or even the MapGroup.

3.3 - Additional config files.

If you play competitively, or if you manipulate plugins, you might have to use other config files.

For instance, the ESL config file, which allow you to launch match settings. Those files can use EVERY commands.

Indeed, as you will only launch them manually, well after the server's start up, all the values in those files will override the current ones.

Those files always go in the /cfg folder of your FTP, and before you start a match, you type "rcon exec configname.cfg" (without the quotes).

3.4 - Standart config example.

My colleague VG|Mole came up with a pack that contains pre-set files, for a quick and easy install of a match server :

VeryGames match server pack

By following the instructions in the readme file, and uploading the files into your server, you'll have a match server ready to play within a few seconds.

Modifié par kRYOoX